Ch. 5, Democratic Regimes (134-171)
- Would we have democracy without the Greeks? The Romans? The English? Explain your answers.
- Which of the competing explanations for democratization make(s) the most sense to you, and why?
- What is the best democratic system, and why?
- What is the best electoral system, and why?
- Why are there relatively few presidential democracies?
- Would the U.S. be better off with a different democratic system? Why?
- Would the U.S. be better off with a different electoral system? Why?
- How might choosing the "right" democratic and electoral system help to build a strong(er) state?
- What would (or could) you write about if you were writing a paper on this chapter? Be specific.