Ch. 9, Communism and Postcommunism (266-303)
- Exam 4 – 10:30-12:30 on Tue, May 14
- Which of the Marxist theory terms on page 271 make(s) the most sense to you? Which make(s) the least sense? Why?
- Explain Marx's ideas favorably, then explain them unfavorably.
- Was the collapse of communism unavoidable? How so, or why not?
- Is communism a good idea that wasn't done well, or a bad idea that couldn't have been done well? Explain your answer.
- What would you say are the biggest challenges facing postcommunist states, and why? Be specific.
- What best explains the varied experiences of countries transitioning from communism? How might this be helpful information?
- Which type of institutional transformation is most important for postcommunist countries? Explain.
- Is transitioning from communism more complicated than you expected it to be? How so, or why not?
- How would you characterize the prospects for postcommunist states in the coming years, and why?
- How would you characterize the prospects for communist ideology in the coming years, and why?