Ch. 8, International Political Economy (268-317)
Global Perspectives (305)
- What are the dangers of Rwanda's reliance on foreign aid and tourism for achieving economic development?
- Is Rwanda's goal of being a hub for ITC activities realistic?
- What other countries might market their brand to boost economic development?
Discussion Questions (316)
- You are an economist in the Mexican government. What policies can you suggest to influence economic policy?
- Economic liberals, mercantilists/economic nationalists, and economic radicals see multinational corporations in different ways. What are those differences?
- How are the international financial system and the international monetary system more complex than they were in the past?
- Does economic regionalization lead to globalization? Why or why not? Provide evidence.
- How has your belief in the economic liberal model been modified by the global economic crises?
- Connect the "Made in America" (New York Times) article to this chapter. Be specific.
- Drawing from this chapter and the "Made in America" article, what trade policy advice would you give to the Trump Administration and why? What theoretical perspective informs your advice?
- How do the respective approaches to international development work and what is each meant to achieve?
- What are some strengths and weaknesses of each approach to international development?
- How should we best focus our efforts to achieve economic development? Explain your answer.