Tue, Feb 18
POL 300-800, Global Diplomacy
Spring 2020 | warkentin.xyz/300
- How might a country's diplomatic style impact its effectiveness in negotiations? Offer some hypothetical examples to support your answer.
- Is social media a good or bad way for politicians to interact with the people? Provide an example to support your answer.
- Is the diplomatic style of an international institution more likely to hamper or facilitate a country's diplomatic effectiveness? Explain.
- Do you agree or disagree with Barston's position on (the changing nature of) summits? Why?
- To what extent, and in what way(s), does a country's government ("regime") affect its diplomacy?
- Is it better to gain consensus or to vote on an issue? Why?
- Why do you think consensus decision-making has been widely adopted recently despite its numerous limitations in practice?
- Generally speaking, which the "other diplomatic methods" would prove most useful? Why?
- Assume you are the leader of a new state. What elements, strategies, and techniques from this chapter would you like to incorporate into your country's "diplomatic style" and why?
- Drawing from this chapter, make some recommendations for the UK as it engages in post-Brexit negotiations.