Thu, Feb 20
POL 300-800, Global Diplomacy
Spring 2020 | warkentin.xyz/300
- What's the difference between a bloc and a network? How are the two connected (or not)? Are blocs or networks more important? Why, or how so?
- Is the EU's diplomatic effectiveness strengthened or weakened by its varied member states? Offer an illustrative example or two.
- With respect to changing blocs and groups, can we expect an increase or a decrease in the coming years? Why?
- How much do (a) the G20 and (b) BRICS matter? Explain your answers.
- Give an example (not mentioned in the book) of a problem that could be solved by the G20, but not by the G8.
- Rank order the types of groupings and diplomacy, discussed on pp. 129-133, in terms of their importance. Justify your selections.
- Does being a member of a bloc have a positive or negative affect on a state's ability to conduct diplomacy? How so?
- Is it better for (a) states and (b) diplomacy to have more blocs and groups, or fewer blocs and groups? Explain why, or how so.
- Of the types of groups and networks discussed in the chapter, which promises to have the biggest impact on global diplomacy in the coming years? Support your answer.
- How do "groups and networks" facilitate or impede "developing diplomatic practice" and vice versa? Be specific.
- What key themes and issues connect this chapter to previous chapters? Articulate relevant connections and frame these into a paper topic.