Tue, Feb 4
POL 307-800, European Politics
Spring 2020 | warkentin.xyz/307
Is Europe one? (22)
- What factors do you think best account for why some European countries supported intervention in Iraq and Libya and others did not?
- Why do you think Americans tend to be more supportive of overseas military campaigns—Iraq is but one example— whereas Europeans frequently are not?
Application questions (23)
- What characteristics do you associate with the term "Europe"? What makes Europe distinctive from, say, the US, Australia, or Canada?
- In recent years, how has Europe tried to use its "soft power"? Under what conditions is reliance on "soft power" more likely to succeed?
- Do you see Europe as a successful actor on the world stage? If so, how? Where? If not, what prevents Europe from being a "superpower"?
- Do you believe, like Habermas, that Europe offers an attractive model? What might be problems with the European social model?
- Do you agree there is a "logic" of Europeanization? How far do you believe Europeanization can go? Do you believe Euroskepticism is a more potent political force?