Tue, Feb 25
POL 307-800, European Politics
Spring 2020 | warkentin.xyz/307
Application questions (138)
- Why doesn't the EU adopt a purely parliamentary style of government, in which an elected parliament selects a prime minister and cabinet? Who would object to such an arrangement?
- Do you agree that the EU has a "democratic deficit"? What could theoretically and/or realistically be done to make the EU more democratic?
- From your understanding of EU institutions, can you give several examples of how the tensions between inter-governmentalism and supranationalism play out?
- How does the EU's portrayal of this body compare to Kubicek's? What are the most notable differences between the two?
- What are the key strengths and weaknesses of this body in terms of (a) European politics and (b) national politics? Be specific.
- Would you characterize this body as more supranational than intergovernmental, or vice versa? On what do you base your answer?
- What changes would you propose to improve this body, and why? How realistic are your proposals, and why might this matter?
- How would you describe this body and its functions to someone who was unfamiliar with its workings (but familiar with the EU)?